Update Feb 2023 – Further work completed –
The flat roof over the main hall entrance has been replaced together with gutters and downspouts. This has solved the problem with the ingress of water in the porch and has introduced some insulation to that roof which will help with condensation and mold in the ladies toilet. We have also replaced the flooring in the kitchen which will help with the general appearance and provides high durability and easier cleaning. We will continue to monitor the building and target those areas that need work. We also have a regular maintenance schedule for those things that periodically need to be done
June 2021 – Phase 2 Completion of the Main Hall
The Committee decided to take advantage of the Covid-19 lockdown and complete the refurbishment of the main hall. this has included;
- Removal of the old chimney breasts to give a clean line along the back wall.
- Dry lining the walls to incorporate an insulation layer to make the room easier and more economical to heat.
- Replacement of the timberwork throughout the hall including a new dado rail, paneling, and window cills.
- Completion of the electrical work so no more dangling wires.
- Full decoration throughout.
- New blinds.
This completes the main hall and provides the community with the best facility in the area. We opened the hall exactly to schedule on the 17th of May. A particular thank you to Bill Hill who orchestrated the effort, everyone that pitched in to help, and to all of the contractors for a super professional job.
There is still work to be done but this is a real milestone for the refurbishment project. Please do support the upcoming street market as it will help us to fund the remaining work in the other areas of the hall.
Update July 2020 – Further works
Electrical work to tidy up the spaghetti wiring is nearing completion with new distribution boards around the building fed by single cables from the main-board in the main hall. The cupboards in the main hall have also been replaced to give a neat and tidy finish ready for the dry lining which will follow. There are still a few cables dangling down ready for a new ring main in the main hall. This will be completed with the dry lining. There has also work in progress to tidy up the ladies’ toilets and address the damp on the ceiling.
Major refurbishment project phase 1 complete 2020
Villagers and users will have noticed the shiny new roof on the main hall and the new ceiling inside. This ongoing programme of work is needed to ensure our Hall remains, not only fit for purpose for the next 40 years but will enhance the facilities by increasing the range of activities we can offer and with the new roof, steel supports and a new internal ceiling we will for the first time have proper insulation making the whole building warmer and more energy efficient. The total cost of the work exceeds £66K and has been made possible by over £51k as a grant from the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (LEADER FUND) as part of its support for Rural Communities, £7K as a grant from Langham Parish Council and £8K from the proceeds of previous Langham Street Markets. We have also been supported by RCC in their provision of a bridging loan.
The first phase is now complete and the hall is back to fully functioning.
The first phase work gave us;
- New Steel supports that hold up the new ceiling and restrain the masonry
- New Ceiling with lots of insulation to keep the place warmer in the winter
- Wall ties installed on the front wall to stabilise the masonry
- New electrical ring main and sockets
- Heating re-installed
- A fresh coat of paint throughout
- Floor protection cleared
- Deep clean ready for use
Future phases will bring;
- Further improvements to the electrics
- Insulation to the external walls in the main hall
- Updated heating system and controls
- Replacement of the flat roofs